Ben E. Clayton
Attorney Ben E. Clayton, of the Clayton Law Firm, located in Slidell, Louisiana, has practiced law in Louisiana since 1986 after graduating with a Juris Doctorate degree from Loyola University School of Law (New Orleans) that year. He is a 1980 graduate of University of New Orleans and Eagle Scout, Boy Scouts of America (1974).
Mr. Clayton was an attorney with Hailey, McNamara, Hall, Larmann & Papale, a large insurance defense law firm in Metairie, Louisiana from 1986 - 1990 and was a staff attorney for Aetna Casualty & Surety Company from 1990 to 1996. Aetna was acquired by Travelers Insurance Company in 1996 and Mr. Clayton was a staff attorney with Travelers until he entered private practice in 2000. From 1986 through 2000 he primarily represented liability and workers' compensation insurers and their insureds. Some of those clients included Aetna Aetna Casualty & Surety Company, the State Farm companies, Ryan-Walsh Stevedorning Company and Martin Marietta Space Systems.
Since 2000, Mr. Clayton has primarily represented personal injury plaintiffs and injured workers in their claims for compensation and damages. However, since the beginning of his law career in 1986, he has also handled a variety of types of legal matters, including, but not limited to:
- Personal Injury, including car accidents, bicycle and truck accidents
- Maritime Injuries
- Work Injuries and Workers' Compensation Claims
- Criminal Defense
- Child In Need Of Care (CINC)
- Corporate matters, including formation of corporations and limited liability companies
- Contract issues and disputes
- Insurance coverage issues and disputes
- "Whistleblower" claims
- Products liability (defective and unreasonably dangerous products)
- Maritime personal injury, including claims by seamen, under the Jones Act and General Maritime Law
- Medical malpractice
- Premises Liability
- Longshore and Harbor Workers' Compensation Act
- Building construction and defects
- Constitutional issues
- First Amendment Free Speech
- Fire/arson litigation
Ben E. Clayton is admitted to practice law in the Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of United States Court in Louisiana, as well as in all state, local and municipal courts of this state. He has handled legal matters throughout the State of Louisiana in a number of its courts and has experience in the trial of legal matters before judges and juries.
At times Mr. Clayton has spoken at accredited Mandatory Continuing Legal Education seminars in this state on a variety of topics, such as professionalism and workers' compensation law.
Mr. Clayton is a currently a member of the Louisiana State Bar Association, Christian Legal Society and Slidell Bar Association. He served as the president of the Slidell Bar Association in 2007, 2008 and 2009.